Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Singing autumnal praises

I love Thanksgiving. Mostly because I love turkey, that glorious and tasty fowl that takes centre stage during the harvest season. And pumpkin. I love pumpkin, probably because it gets made into things like pumpkin pie, and pumpkin cheese cake, and pumpkin loaf, and my absolute favourite, pumpkin ice cream.

Sneaking the last of the pumpkin ice cream at Thanksgiving dinner
But mostly, I love Thanksgiving because it falls right smack dab in the middle of my favourite time of year. Fall. 

Some people fear Fall as a sign of what is to come - a long, cold and harsh Canadian winter. But to me, the Fall is a time of beauty. Cool, crisp mornings followed by sunny, brilliant afternoons, wrapped up with evenings lit up with harvest moons. It is a stunning time of year.

But don't take my word for it. Feast your eyes instead on these beautiful photos of my favourite time of year - Fall.

Sunrise over Ottawa - early Fall

Parliament Hill shrouded in mist on an early morning run 

What is more autumnal than football?

It might be fall, but it's still warm enough for a swim in the New Edinburgh Pond

Running through the leaves at the Arboretum

Leaves, leaves, and more leaves

The turning of the leaves in the Arboretum

Taking a stroll down an autumn path

Fall at Dow's Lake

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

1 comment:

  1. Nice photos! Fall is my favourite time of year too. I miss the colors of S Ontario, but have come to love the yellows and golds of Calgary, plus fall here is perfect weather.

    I thing the politicians like the fog shrouding the parliament buildings; it's an additional layer of hiding their nefarious doings.

    ReplyDelete