Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Ah, Mother's Day

This is me and my mom.

This picture was taken on my wedding day, almost four years ago. I am wearing my post-ceremony dress, the second of three dresses that I wore on that day (what can I say, I like an event with a few wardrobe changes). As you may have noticed, you can catch a glimpse of my bra. That is because this dress is made for a woman who is, shall we say, chestier than I. And so, every single time I sat down, I would inadvertently expose my bustier. My mother had been sitting directly across from me right before this picture was taken, and was telling me to fix my dress. I kept telling her that there was not enough double-sided tape in the world that could make a difference - the girls are just too darn small and there was nothing that could be done about it! That's when she decided to take matters into her own hands by fixing my dress herself. The photographer, finding the exchange more than a little hilarious, snapped a picture of me trying to stop my mother from covering up my inadequacy with the overabundance of draping silk.

This is one of my favourite wedding pictures.

It is just so us. There I am, doing something deemed by Mom to be "not-quite-right", and there she is, trying to fix it. Because that's what moms do. They guide their children and teach them right from wrong. And when those children falter, moms are there to make sure that they behave.

I love my mom. And whenever I see this picture, I love her more. I love her because she refuses to stop being my mom. She refuses to stop loving me and caring for me and looking out for what she thinks is best for me. Even though I am 29-years old in my mid-30s. Even on my wedding day.

I am not a mother, so I do not know what it is like to so badly want to protect my children from bruises and scrapes that result from falling off of bicycles, or from first heartaches when that boy they have a crush on doesn't call, or from exposing their bra to their wedding guests. But I do know what it is like to feel a mom's gentle hands applying a band-aid to a sore spot, wiping away tears, or yanking up a falling dress.

It feels like love.

I may not follow in the footsteps of motherhood, but I do cherish my mommy, and all of the other mothers I know, for filling this world with so much love.

Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment