Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Updating the experiment

Okay. So after 3 days of sleeping in the same bed as Hubby and I, it was time to take Monkey out of hiding and present him to the Beast.

Quick refresher. Monkey is a stuffed, green... er... monkey. We bought him for Fergus, to replace his beloved Henrietta Hedgehog, who recently met her demise after a particularly rousing game of tug. Before handing Monkey over to the Beast, we stuffed him in our bed and under piles of our clothes so that he would take on our scent. The premise being that if Monkey smells like Hubby and I, Fergus will be less inclined to destroy him, as he has disposed of every other toy before this one. Because of course, he would not want to, say, rip our arms off.

Well, this is what happened.

First, I presented Monkey to Fergus.

Look at that smile of utter excitement....


 And how much he just wants to caress his new best friend...


And how patient he is being while he waits for me to relinquish Monkey into his tender, loving care...


And so, after a few minutes of introduction, it was finally time to put Monkey's fate in Fergus' paws.

And this is what happened...


I don't quite know what to say... Does this mean that Fergus shows his love and affection through destructive behaviour? Or does it mean that he really wants to take me by the arm and whip me around too until all of my stuffing falls out?

I don't know. But I do know that I don't give Monkey very good odds. I'll keep you posted on how long it takes before he joins the others in Dog Toy Heaven. For now, after an hour of play, this is what he looks like. No seams ripped open yet...


Oh, and yes, I am trying to evolve this blog into non-dog things, and no, I have not posted anything non-dog since saying that I would do so. But I will get there, curious reader(s). I promise.


3 comments:

  1. No worries - am fascinated by the whole "Monkey Business" (ha)! Taz (our German Shepherd) loves her stuffies and has had some since she was a pup (7 years), but when there is an openining and stuffing is exposed, she will work at it until it's destroyed. Her new stuffie, a Loch Ness Monster I brought back from holidays - she loves it :)

    Good luck to Monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I fell upon your blog and I have to say you two sound just like my husband and I and our 18 month of Aussie. She too has the same hedgehog and yes we call it hedgehog and she loooovvvveeeesss it. It was one of her first toys and we are still amazed it has not been destroyed when most of her other stuffies have last a day to two without major stickes (usally in the croch area). Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found us, Anonymous! Hope you continue to follow our little herd and share some of your own poochie stories!

      Delete