Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I don't want to end up on one of those dog shows...

I PVR dog shows. There - I said it. My favourites are The Dog Whisperer, At the End of My Leash and Puppy S.O.S. I know. It's really weird.

Obviously, I love dogs. I have loved them my whole life. From the little water spaniel that used to guard my playpen when I could barely walk to the German shepherd/lab mix that saw me graduate from high school and leave home at the tender age of 17, my life has been filled with doggie adventures. Some of my all-time favourite childood memories involve milkbones and sticks. (Oh, and the time my toy poodle got drunk when my parents spilled a glass of champagne at a New Years Eve party and she licked it all up before we could get to it. If you've never seen a dog hiccup and sway, trust me when I say that it is more than mildly amusing).*

Enter the Beast, our 13 month old Australian Shepherd/Border Collie/something else mix. Rescued from the Humane Society where he was dropped off as a nine-month old pup, he bounced into our lives 2 months ago as an over-excited and under-exercised bundle of schizophrenic and obsessive-compulsive energy, where he is doing everything in his power to take up the position of herd-master in 'our house and in our 'hood.

This blog will chronicle our quest to give the Beast the home that he deserves without ending up on one of those t.v. shows that I am known to PVR. Not only because it will surely keep me entertained years from now when I look back at the ups and downs of doggie-dom. But also because it is shaping up to be a life-changing experience for all involved: me, my husband, and the Beast himself. Oh, and probably for my poor neighbour who is currently living through the nightmare that is getting him to stop barking at every noise outside our door. Again, neighbour, I am sorry.

So for the two other people reading this blog (Hi Mom!), I hope you enjoy our adventures and laugh a little along the way.

*No animals were harmed in the making of this blog, including the toy poodle who survived her night of drunken stupor with no more than a minor hangover and a trip to doggie rehab.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeannine,
    Kevin and I will definitely be following your blog - and likely relating to several of your posts given that we too, have adopted a lil' terror into our family (a 4 month old Brussels Griffon Smooth). Best of luck with the barking control - and cheer up... you could still be stuck in the "house training" phase like we are... arrrgh.
    PS: If you're planning on branching out in the web world, what about signing your dog up on Twitter? Could be amusing to "tell the dog story" from a dog perspective :)
    Cheers,
    -MDV

    ReplyDelete